Monday, March 24

Easter Monday message - blast from the past?

I spotted a visitor to my blog on Sunday who had came via a specific Google search for "John Hee" No idea what's behind that, but I'm sure I'l find out in good time. Possibly?

Looking a little closer at others links I spotted this. The connection may be rather tentative. But the relevancy of the poem's date seemed to good to pass up.

A BALLADE, WROTTEN ON THE FEASTYNGE AND MERRIMENTES OF EASTER MAUNDAY by S.W.H. Ireland (1802)

"O! list unto a wondrouse tale,
O! listen grete and smalle,
'Tis of a famouse Citte Mayre,
Sir John theye dyd hym call.
A Grocere kind, Sir John hee was,
Yn swete meates rare dealt hee,
Yn almondes, raysins, sugarr, dates,
Ande eke yn good bohee.
Sir John hee had a roaringe trade....."

(ref)

Labels:


All site material © John Hee - ask before you snatch