Sunday, March 2

Mark Boyle & the Gentlemen of the Press

I'm a keen if increasingly disgruntled press watcher these days. But more to come on that in a later piece.

Meanwhile an interesting insight into the story behind the story as it were. Setting the scene, lets have the Guardian's version

"Mark Boyle's idea was to walk to Mahatma Gandhi's birthplace without a penny in his pocket, relying on the kindness of strangers for food and shelter to prove that a better world without money really was possible.
Boyle got as far as Calais before he realised that, unable to speak French to explain his mission and unable, frankly, to get much vegan food in this part of northern Europe, he faced starvation"

This is just one of many reports along a similar line. Which had me reaching into the Internet to look at the idealism and approach that went into this very individual view of a long walking trip.

But after a little more research on Mark's blog, and one of his fellow adventurers Eric, Mark is clearly not very happy with the way he considers that his venture has been represented. Or not as the case may be.

"What was reported though was highly inaccurate at best and very irresponsible. According to almost every paper and radio station we had 'quit' the walk, the French thought we were 'asylum seekers' and that I went to France expecting everyone to speak english! I am not going to respond to any of it, everyone who has been reading this blog will understand that about 99% of it is very inaccurate. Even down to the level of research - they all call me a 'Brit' or an 'englishman'! I don't mind at all but I think I should set the record straight - I am Irish!"

One further extract from Mark's piece that I can't resist posting .......
"I would love every critic out there to come and walk with us, even for a few hours. I am not going to sit here and defend my actions - it won't change anything and I'd rather just get on with things. I feel its strange that I seem to be the centre of abuse for a lot of people who assume they know me and understand why I do certain things. All I am is a very ordinary guy trying to stand up for what I believe in - I don't expect everyone to agree, but I think people should at least ask some questions first before judging us on stuff printed through a media that has long lost its integrity and accuracy"

Sorry Mark, but welcome to the wonderful (blog) world of those people who are prepared to stand up and be counted. Rather than sit on their arses and whine.

Whatever it is that you hope to achieve - all power to your positivity.

Labels: , ,


All site material © John Hee - ask before you snatch