Tuesday, September 29

Running , Walking, Standing Still

As some of you may be aware TGO stalwart Cameron McNeish regularly contributes a column for the Strathspey & Badenoch Herald.

In his latest piece Cameron drew attention to a recent publication from Julie Welch, ex-editor of Strider (the Long Distance Walkers' Association's magazine)

The subject matter, her preparation & attempt to complete a 100 miles in 48 hours event, had me intrigued. If only to find out what sort of effort & mental drive is required.

Or should that be what level of lunacy
?

Checking the book review on Amazon (there's no chance my local bookshop will have this one!) I spotted that the publisher is Aurum Press - the same company behind Richard Askwith's "Feet in the Clouds: A Story of Fell Running and Obsession"

Askwith's book is one of those
infectious ones that makes you want to put it down, strap on a pair of fell shoes, & head off for the Lake District. Because it all sounds like So Much Fun.

OK - let's try to ignore the fitness & painful bits for the moment.

So the decision to order a copy of "Out On Your Feet"was a no-brainer for me.

After all spending one of these darkening evenings wrapped up with another's trial & tribulation sounds like a good plan to me.

And there will always be the whole of the winter ahead to think of reasons to dissuade myself from trying to mimic the attempt.

Perhaps.

Labels:


Comments:
I attempted one of the LDWA's 100 mile events in the late 80s - and packed in after 56 miles with a knackered knee. Back then I used to take part in many long distance hill running events - two day mountain marathons (with pack weighs similar to ultralight backpackers now) and overnight events like the High Peak Marathon, the Lakes Four Threes and the Cleveland Classic. All great fun, if somewhat exhausting at times. Eventually a series of injuries persuaded me to give up these events. People told me it was backpacking with heavy loads that was the problem but I continued doing that without problem. Mind you I once did a half marathon on the road and afterwards hurt more than on any hill run whatever the length.

Those books look good. Thanks for the links. Two older books worth reading on the same subject are Mike Cudahy's Wild Trails to Far Horizons (100 miles? - he does the Pennine Way in under three days0 and Bill Smith's Stud Marks on the Summits, A History of Amateur Fell Racing: 1861-1983.
 
Cheers for the book tip Chris

I've always wondered just how far I could walk in one go. But perhaps its one of those things best left unanswered?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

All site material © John Hee - ask before you snatch