Saturday, April 13

Dartmoor NIGHT 5/5 Mon 3/7/23 TOP TOR(AGAIN)-PIL TOR-HOLLOW TOR

 PM:

Knowing that I needed to travel back to Dorset the following day I opted to stay on the east side of the moor. Whilst the weather wasn't especially bad, bar the day of rain, the wind had been steadily increasing so I decided to put the moor between myself and the westerlies blowing in their degrading weather fronts.

Back to where I started my trip, to check out another couple of easy access spots. Possible jumping off points for the future trips as the permissive wild camping virago finally settles down.

(Like most of the local wild campers I spoke to on this trip I did take head of the DNPA advice/instructions when deciding where to camp, but not slavishly so. Anyone keen enough to chastise "illegal" wild camping is more than welcome to come and find us quietly carrying on carrying on as we have always done, practising responsible wild camping, mostly solo in my experience. Despite that all my wildcamps were in 'approved' areas. This time)

Whilst exploring I discovered a car park  at GR 735 768 offering quick & simple access to a few tors, and hopefully far enough away to avoid those problems associated with the Haytor anthill antics.

Any easy 10 minute wander up onto TOP TOR (736 762) A quick look around and then onto PIL TOR (735 795) to look for alternative sites. While on the wander I checked out HOLLOW TOR (550 842) All pretty much of a muchness with a westerly now gusting to 40mph

Back to PIL TOR looking for a spot sheltered from the wind. On a windless day there would have been plenty of choice, but tonight, with showers now drifting through, it was time to make the best of what I had to work with.

As normal, I checked to see what the local animals where doing. Living daily here they simply demonstrate the best way to operate to anyone who takes the time to watch their behaviour. And at present they were nailed behind any shelter they could find, stomachs firmly on the ground.

Which is why I found myself evicting the residents, clearing sheep droppings, and setting up quickly behind a solid rock outcrop, free from any potentially loose material that could be dislodged.

Pil Tor

But the ground here is hard!

In 14 years of using clamcleat tentpegs I've barely scratched them. Tonight I bent two trying to get a secure placement. 

Oops

Clearly the tent would be in for a battering later so it needed to be firmly nailed down tonight. But I'm an old hand where bad weather is concerned, and soon my evening meal was cooking with me thankfully finally out of the wind.

5 nights of wild camping in a row. Weather not too typically Dartmoor, but not at its best. But hey that's Dartmoor. Take what you get and adapt. 

There's enjoyment to be had in abundance, as long as you open yourself to whatever comes your way.


People often ask me why I do this. 

But so few seem to listen to my answer.


Labels: ,


All site material © John Hee - ask before you snatch