Tuesday, August 1

Water water everywhere

A quick follow up to my last post.....

On my recent trip to the Lakeland fells in early July I managed to hit the start of the recent UK heat wave.

It was noticeable that towards the end of my stay the availability of runing water off the ridges was decreasing.
There are indications that the situation has not become much better. Yes I know it always seems to be rain rather than sun in the Lakes, but with the somewhat extreme weather conditions it takes some time to replenish the high level water tables.

So plan any water resupply carefully, and I'd recommend you beware of those streams that seem to be down to a trickle. A good supply is a strong running supply, and if the sheep seem to be gathered around it assume the worse and avoid, unless you filter, or just enjoy the taste of sheep droppings.
Eurgh!

Labels: ,


All site material © John Hee - ask before you snatch