Thursday, October 8
DARTMOOR DAY 2: Tuesday 23/6/26 KINGS TOR; HUCKEN TOR; INGRA TOR; KINGS TOR
Back to the car at Four Winds Car Park (SX 568 693) & a water restock for a day rapidly building into heatwave conditions.
That needed some care when walking, with the 4 litre (4kg) water weight added to the pack. But I was able to cut down on spare kit intending a single nighter and see what the weather conditions would throw at me.
Off to Kings Tor, often seen in the distance, but avoided until now, feeling it to be a bit of a touristy trap, much like Haytor (shudder)
Happily I had Kings to myself, although with the heat rapidly building, even at this early hour, I scouted the potential for overnight spots and then headed in the direction of Hucken Tor.
Dropping off to the track, west of Kings, proved "interesting" wary of packweight, with a steep drop onto the track.
The route to Hucken looked ok, but the tor didn't warrant footfall today, not with other spots to visit.
Following the easy track southwards was a doddle, probably the easiest going I've had on Dartmoor.
More of a relentless trudge with regular sips from my water bladder as I went along.
Ingra Tor finally reached I sat for a snack and considered my next move.
I had intended to camp here, but there was much of the day remaining. The view from Ingra is ok, but nothing panoramic, and I could sense the B3212 from Princetown hiding away behind the nearby ridge.
Time for more exploring the area.
The day's heat changed my mind on that.
As I headed back along the track towards Foggintor Quarries any resolve I had for pottering about changed into one long sweat inducing trudge.
With no chance of shade I decided to complete a circular route by heading back to Kings Tor.
Kings Tor from the SE
By 3pm tent was pitched. Despite this only taking 5 minutes, when I opened the tent up, I was met by a blast of superheated air. It felt like opening a door into a sauna.
Hang on. This is Dartmoor. It doesn't do this type of heat!
I sheltered in the only shade I could find, hunched against a rockslab, shifting to stay cool as the sun tracked across the sky.
At least I had the 'entertainment' of watching the ticks on the rock, a foot from my face, ever hopeful of making me their next snack.
By 6pm, with the temperature still at 33C, and the dwindling shade fast evaporating, a bit like me, I took stock of the situation.
I'd definitely needed the break, and despite regular water intake, the heat was becoming dangerous.
Reluctantly I decided to strike camp and head for a safer position.
Reflecting later I realised that over my many decades of wildcamping, in some truly dire conditions, this was the first time I ever decided to quit a camping spot.
I headed back down to the car park, fortuitously surrounded by tree shade in all four directions.
The shade of Great Mis Tor car park beckons
A couple of cars had occupants overnight camping, believing the ground was not great for pitching a tent.
Clearly they'd never tried the top of any of the nearby Tors!And there was even a small stream running besides the wall to the south of the car park.Pancake flat and plenty of choice as far as I was concerned.
Definitely a spot to remember for the future to sit out foul weather with plenty of windbreak shelter from the worst of the elements.
I spent most of the evening in a topless state (ooeerr missus) listening to an England World Cup match. I'm not a huge footie fan, but there is something about listening to a match, on the radio, whilst camping out somewhere remote.
By 11pm it had cooled enough to make sleep a possibility. The immediate forecast for the rest of the week was pretty much the same.
Choosing sense over ambition I reluctantly decided to cut this trip short.
By 5:30 am the next morning I was heading home, attempting to mitigate the lack of car aircon, a trip cut short by that strangest of phenomenen.
Just too damned hot for walking and wildcamping on Dartmoor.Labels: dartmoor, wild camping
The route to Hucken looked ok, but the tor didn't warrant footfall today, not with other spots to visit.
Following the easy track southwards was a doddle, probably the easiest going I've had on Dartmoor.
More of a relentless trudge with regular sips from my water bladder as I went along.
Ingra Tor finally reached I sat for a snack and considered my next move.
I had intended to camp here, but there was much of the day remaining. The view from Ingra is ok, but nothing panoramic, and I could sense the B3212 from Princetown hiding away behind the nearby ridge.
Time for more exploring the area.
The day's heat changed my mind on that.
As I headed back along the track towards Foggintor Quarries any resolve I had for pottering about changed into one long sweat inducing trudge.
With no chance of shade I decided to complete a circular route by heading back to Kings Tor.
Kings Tor from the SELabels: dartmoor, wild camping
All site material © John Hee - ask before you snatch







